Residents should have emergency supplies at home in the event of a power outage.
This can include at least a three day’s supply of non-perishable foods, one gallon of water per person per day, warm clothing, blankets, a first-aid kit, battery-powered weather radio, a cell phone charger, flashlight and pet food.
The chances of carbon monoxide poisoning are much greater in winter
because of exposure to heat sources fueled by heating oil, wood, gas or alternative sources indoors or the use of gasoline-powered generators. It’s important to check furnaces, flues and vents to ensure you’re not contributing carbon monoxide to the inside of your home.
Radon levels can soar during the colder months
when residents keep windows closed and spend more time indoors. One in fifteen homes across the country has unacceptable radon levels; January is National Radon Action Month, and the Environmental Protection Agency suggests you test your homes for indoor radon gas—one of the leading causes of lung cancer in the country.
Before going to sleep, be sure your fireplace is out.
When not in use, make absolutely sure the damper on your traditional fireplace is closed. Before closing the damper, make sure that you don’t have any smoldering embers. Allow ashes to cool and dispose of them in a metal container.
If you vacation during the winter months, leave your heat on and set it to 55 degrees.
This will help reduce the chance of interior pipes freezing. In the event of frozen water pipes, use hot water for thawing or a device such as a hand-held dryer.
Space heaters need space.
Keep all things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
Make sure you have a snow shovel
Rock salt, sand and other tools for taking care of snow and ice on your property.