Picking out paint colors for your home can be a daunting task especially if you want to face your fear of color. Whether you are looking for one color to make a bold statement or are looking for a few different hues to brighten up your home, here are some tips on how to choose:
- Look around your home and pick out your favorite colors from your furniture, artwork, accessories, clothing, etc.
- Don’t forget that colors can affect our moods. Think about what kind of mood you want the room to exude and choose a color to match that emotion. Soft cool color palates are good for a soothing quiet atmosphere where warm bright colors are for a more active sociable atmosphere.
- When testing paint chips pay attention to how different lighting affects the color. Natural daylight will show the truest color. Incandescent lighting will bring out the warm tones where fluorescent lighting brings out the cool tones.
- Before choosing a color, consider how it will flow with the rest of the walls in your home.
- For inspiration watch HGTV or the DIY network to see what colors designers are choosing. A lot of times you will discover new color combinations that you like while watching home makeover shows.
- Use your smartphone. There are several apps available that can help you choose a paint color.
- If you are afraid to experiment with color start by painting a small room such as the bathroom. This way you will spend less time and money if you end up changing your mind.