Autumn is a favorite time of year for many because of the beautiful fall foliage. By incorporating a few shrubs and trees your yard can become the envy of the neighborhood as the leaves begin to change. If your yard is lacking color this season try planting some of the following shrubberies and enjoy the view.
- Gingko: these trees are related to conifers and are also known as maidenhair trees. Their fan shaped leaves turn a vibrant yellow in the fall.
- Smokebush: this plant can either be a shrub or a small tree. These plants turn a variety of colors throughout the season, ranging from yellow, to pink, to orange, to red.
- Katsura Tree: these trees are great for shade in the summer and turn pink and yellow in the fall. Once the leaves begin to fall the tree gives off a spicy sweet fragrance.
- Witch Hazel: this fragrant shrub’s leaves turn yellow in the fall and once the leaves have fallen the yellow flowers remain on the branches.
- Blueberry: these shrubs not only produce brilliant fall colors including yellow, orange, and deep red, but produce tasty blueberries.
- Red Twig Dogwood: this plant is most vibrant once the leaves fall off as the stems are red and yellow. In the spring the plant produces purple fruit and in the fall the leaves turn a deep reddish-purple.
- Maple: the most common tree producing bright shades of red, yellow, and orange.
- Redbud: this small tree has pink and purple flowers and heart shaped leaves which turn yellow in the fall. Certain varieties can have reddish purple leaves.