Whether you’re snacking or adding a tasty addition to your meal, you’ll be pleased with this mozzarella stick recipe.
- 10 whole-grain Melba toasts
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced oregano
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Large pinch of ground cayenne (optional)
- 2 large egg whites and 1 large egg
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 8 sticks mozzarella string cheese, halved (horizontal)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
Step 1: Use a food processor to turn your Melba toasts into crumbs. Place the crumbs into a bowl with breadcrumbs, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper and the cayenne if you choose to use it.
Step 2: Whisk together the egg whites, whole egg, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Put flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cheese in a bag and shake around to coat evenly. Then dip each piece in the egg mixture and roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat.
Step 4: Place each piece on parchment paper and freeze for 15 minutes, or overnight.
Step 5: Preheat the oven to 475 degrees, place cheese sticks on a baking sheet and coat each piece with olive oil. Bake until golden brown.
This recipe is best enjoyed with a side of wings. Use the hashtag #1AMcooks to share your dishes and let us know other recipes you would like to try.