Upgrade your morning oatmeal in less than 15 minutes! Cinnamon, nutmeg, bananas and pecans – everything you love about banana bread – make delicious additions to this classic breakfast staple. And with just 241 calories per serving, you can happily indulge all winter long without breaking any New Year’s resolutions.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups uncooked oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- Plain or vanilla non-fat yogurt, optional
- Banana slices, optional
- Pecan halves, optional
Step 1: In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, sugar, salt and spices to a gentle boil, and stir in the oats. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium.
Step 2: Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old fashioned oats or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Remove the oatmeal from the heat, and stir in the mashed bananas and chopped, toasted pecans.
Step 4: Spoon the oatmeal into cereal bowls, and top with yogurt, sliced bananas and pecan halves, if desired. Serve immediately.
This dish is best served hot with a glass of ice-cold milk to wash it down. Use the hashtag #DKMCrecipes to share your dishes and let us know other recipes you would like to try.