Bows add the perfect finishing touch to gifts, wreaths and holiday decorations. Here’s how to tie a beautiful bow to spruce up your holiday handiwork.
Watch the short video below for a quick overview:
- Wired ribbon
- Matching pipe cleaner
Note: If your ribbon has a pattern on one side, keep the patterned side facing you during these steps.
- Place the ribbon in your off hand between your thumb and forefinger.
- Form the front of the bow by wrapping the ribbon around your thumb.
- Twist the ribbon behind your thumb, make a loop to the side of your thumb, bring the ribbon behind your thumb again, twist it again and hold the ribbon in place between your thumb and index finger.
- Repeat the previous step on either side of your thumb as many times as necessary until you get the number of loops and bow size you desire.
- Insert the pipe cleaner between your thumb and the first ribbon twist. Twist the ribbon to secure the rest of the bow.
- Trim the ends of the ribbon as desired, such as by folding the ends in half lengthwise and cutting diagonally toward the bow from the edges to the crease to create a V-shaped cut.
Your finished bow can be attached to a ribbon-wrapped gift or tied to a wreath, garland, Christmas tree or just about anything. Happy holiday decorating!