who-to-notify-when-you-moveIt’s easy to forget to inform relevant people and organizations about your upcoming move and change of address. Follow this helpful list to help you determine who to notify when you are changing addresses.

Family and friends

Your relatives and close friends are naturally the first to know. Informing them early on may even inspire them to help you move. It also gives them enough time to plan a proper goodbye if you’re moving far away.


If you’re renting you’re usually required to notify your landlord at least 30 days in advance, so be sure to review your current lease well before moving. You should also carefully review your tenant rights and responsibilities contained in your lease agreement.

Postal services

Changing your address with USPS should be among your top priorities. You can set your mail to be forwarded to your new place by simply filling out a change of address request at your local post office or at the USPS official website. Additionally, you’ll need to update your address with any sports, professional or social clubs you are involved with including the subscriber services department of any magazines or newspapers you receive.


Be sure to inform your service providers about your new address. This includes electric, gas, water, phone, cable, internet, domestic waste collection and other municipal services you may need. Arrange to have your utilities from your old home be disconnected on moving day and reconnected at your new residence by the time you move.


If you are leaving your current state, you’ll have to transfer your driver’s license and update your vehicle’s registration and insurance within a short time frame, typically 10 to 30 days. It’s a good idea to visit your local DMV to inform them of your new address, and request all the relevant information about getting the required paperwork ready.

Government agencies

If you’re moving to another state, be sure to update your address with the local Social Security Administration office, the electoral register and other relevant institutions.

The Internal Revenue Service

The IRS will need your actual home address to mail your tax return, fiscal notes and other documents. All you need to do is print out and mail in the IRS’ change of address form.

Financial institutions

Make sure you update your bank accounts and inform credit card companies, stockbrokers and other relevant financial establishments of your new address to help keep your finances in order.

Insurance companies

Your life, health, car and homeowners insurance companies should have your current address on file. In addition, any other organizations and individuals, such as your family attorney, who have dealings with you and your family should receive your updated address.

Medical and educational facilities

If you’re moving to a new state, you will need to find a new family physician and school for children. You’ll need to transfer all your academic records, medical records and prescription medicines. Notify your doctors, dentists, vets and other healthcare providers, as well as the educational facilities your children are attending, about your new address.